MATEC Web Conf.
Volume 131, 2017UTP-UMP Symposium on Energy Systems 2017 (SES 2017)
|Number of page(s)||6|
|Section||Renewable and non-renewable energy resources and power generation|
|Published online||25 October 2017|
CFD Modeling and Experimental Validation of a Solar Still
1 Department of Physics, University of Agriculture, 38040, Faisalabad, Pakistan
2 Department of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Petronas, 32610 Bandar, Seri Iskandar, Perak, Malaysia
3 Department of Chemistry, University of Agriculture, 38040, Faisalabad, Pakistan
* Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Earth is the densest planet of the solar system with total area of 510.072 million square Km. Over 71.68% of this area is covered with water leaving a scant area of 28.32% for human to inhabit. The fresh water accounts for only 2.5% of the total volume and the rest is the brackish water. Presently, the world is facing chief problem of lack of potable water. This issue can be addressed by converting brackish water into potable through a solar distillation process and solar still is specially assigned for this purpose. Efficiency of a solar still explicitly depends on its design parameters, such as wall material, chamber depth, width and slope of the zcondensing surface. This study was aimed at investigating the solar still parameters using CFD modeling and experimental validation. The simulation data of ANSYS-FLUENT was compared with actual experimental data. A close agreement among the simulated and experimental results was seen in the presented work. It reveals that ANSYS-FLUENT is a potent tool to analyse the efficiency of the new designs of the solar distillation systems.
© The authors, published by EDP Sciences, 2017
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.